Sunday, January 21

RE: Just want to play soccer

Hey guys, Chau here.

After reading Jacky's post, I got a few comments. I don't think 3-team idea was a bad one. I think the team sitting out has a chance to rest, and it would negate any 'half-time' breaks we would otherwise have. I mean why complain about sitting out, when by the time it hits 11am, we are struggling to find people to step onto the pitch because they are too tired.

At the same time, I know I was the one who was arguing that there should be a 20-minute rule. After 20 mins, the game should be decided in some form of a tie breaker. So the third team can play. It is not just because my team was waiting, if I were playing, I would give way too if our teams couldn't find a goal for an extended period of time. Afterall, the longer you play, the more tired you get, the less likely you would find a goal.

Anyway, I didn't want a team to sit out in the first place. I was hoping to get 20people down and a 5-a-side concept could be spread over 2 courts. So everyone is playing at once. Unfortunately, we had an awkward number of 17, and 4-a-side is a much different game from 5-a-side (more boring). Afterall, we did book two courts didn't we?

Although alot of members did not agree with me on the poll about the cross-court idea, I would like to state my point about playing on a bigger version. 8 or 9-a-side, like Jacky mentioned could be enough for a field. If we wanted to play field soccer, with it's long through balls and wing-crosses, I would have grabbed my stud soccer shoes and go to the big empty field at kismis to play. However, I enjoy my short-passing, close technical skill street soccer game, and that is what I come down to kismis for. And it only makes sense to play that on a small court with fewer players, otherwise it's not called street soccer. So I hope you understand my disagreements about the wider version thingy.

Also, (though in some ways it's my fault I didn't bring it up on match day), no one responded about the goalposts that we could purchase for the club. According to the poll, there has been an overwhelming response (compared to other choices) regarding having a goalpost for our team. I took the liberty to go look for one, now I would like members to respond towards the idea of getting one. You can check out what I said about the goalposts in the previous' posts, but basically a its 'dismantle-able' goalpost around 1.5m by 3.5m and would cost about $335.

Honestly, I did find it frustrating playing with sandals as 'posts'. There is so much dispute if it is a goal or not, about the height of the 'keeper' and what not, and it reflects on the general quality of the game.

I'm just trying to take small steps to improve the quality of our game. We know we want to enjoy a good game of soccer every Saturday, so let's make it even more enjoyable!

Chau